Wednesday 11 January 2012

Evaluation


Q1 In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real
media products? 


You can read below whilst you listen. It includes links to trailers that I have similar conventions to.


In order for my trailer to portray itself as being realistic and true, I set out to find typical codes and conventions of similar media products which i could then relate to my own. The obvious convention that is shown typically in any trailer is text, anchoring what is said or to try and engage the audience more. You will be able to see this as a predominant feature in many trailers, not just music ones. Examples for my benefit were Talihina SkyThe Rise and Fall of The Clash and Filth & The Fury. (links)  I used this throughout my trailer, for example to anchor what my protagonist is saying when he is describing the punk scene in the particular time period. I also used it to reinforce what the trailer is about and to try and attract my target audience more, by using sentences and words like 'experience it again' and 'nostalgia coming your way'. 




Another way i developed the same forms and conventions of a real media product was the variety of footage put in, with voiceovers and real time music. Similar to The Clash documentary above, I used many different shots of old footage from the era I was doing it on. I didn't just stick to a shot of my protagonist talking then go on to footage of something, but actually intertwined all of them together so it flowed more and looked more realistic, alike many of the other trailers above. 
At the start of The Clash documentary, there was a shot I was influenced by when filming my own. I thought the beginning was really effective of a person graffiti'ing on a wall the name of the band: The Clash. The exert I cut out can be found here and I have put this earlier in my blog. As you will be able to see by my trailer I produced, I used this idea near the end of it as a background to reviews of the documentary. I thought this was effective because it symbolises the characteristics of a punk eg rebellious.


On another note, i also combined different shot types within the trailer to provide variety - this included high shots, mid shots, head shots etc with a use of the rule of thirds which i found a predominate feature in most documentary trailers with interviews. Many of the trailers I watched used the rule of thirds when performing an interview. If we look at Talihina Sky by itself for a minute, you will be able to see that when interviewing the members of the band, and family members, the camera puts them in a '1/3' of the shot. This makes it more aesthetically pleasing on the eye.



Lastly, a big feature which I played on was the use of stereotypes and props. In The Filth and Fury, you will get a feel for the genre of the film. This is done subconsciously by the mis en scene used for example of props, camera shots, language and lighting. Throughout my  trailer, i attempted to portray the typical '80s punk' by using darker lighting, reinforcing his tone of voice, cigarette smoking and the rough, rebellious concert footage found. I feel this is an important convention of the trailer as it reinforces and tells the audience that the genre of the film is music punk history and would also draw in my target audience. 


*PLEASE VIEW MY TRAILER AGAIN AND PRESS THE ANNOTATIONS ON AS I HAVE ADDED THEM TO EVALUATE IT COMPARED TO OTHER MEDIA PRODUCTS*





No comments:

Post a Comment